Signage and Bulletin Boards

All campus signage is installed by Facilities Management. Interior signage includes interior directional and room identification signage, while exterior signage includes street signs, parking area designation, building identification, directional signage, and traffic signage. Permanent exterior signage requires a Signage Approval from Campus Planning.

Name Plates, Room Identifying Plates and Window Privacy Frosting

In order to maintain continuity with UBC policy and standards, name plates for new hires/office moves, room identifying plates, and window privacy frosting can be ordered through the Facilities Management department. All requests are chargeable to the requesting department. Begin your request by creating an Archibus work request.

Please provide the following information when ordering a name plate or room identifying plate:

  • Name or title to be displayed on the plate
  • Location where plate is to be installed
  • Workday Program Code

Facilities Management administrative staff place bulk orders with our signage provider approximately once a month. Facilities Management and the signage provider will determine the appropriate design guidelines (colour, typeface size). Plates are typically ready for installation one week after placing the order.

Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards must be used for posting information. All handbills, notices, fliers and bunting affixed or displayed on walls and doors are subject to removal without notification. Bulletin boards for general use by faculty, staff and students are provided in strategic locations throughout campus buildings. Many departments own and manage their own departmental bulletin boards and display cases, the use of which requires the permission of the respective Dean, Director or Department Head.

Bulletin boards for departmental use and/or private office should be purchased with guidance from Facilities Management. To maintain building standards and ensure compliance with Fire, Life & Safety retardant specifications, Facilities Management is responsible for the installation of all bulletin boards on campus.

Posting of Notices and Posters

The installation of posters, window decals, bulletins, banners and temporary displays at the UBC Okanagan Campus must comply with Policy UP8 – Signage Policy, where applicable.

In addition to Policy UP8, the following guidelines provide standards for the location and appropriate installation of posters, window decals, banners and temporary displays on the Okanagan Campus for students, staff and faculty.

  1. Posters and notices of interest to the University community may be approved for posting on approved campus bulletin boards provided Policy UP8 – Signage Policy and the following guidelines are adhered to.
  2. To be eligible for posting, a poster or notice must fall under the definition of one of the following types of bulletin boards.
    1. Faculty & Departmental Bulletin Boards – Limited to posters relating to the subject content, events, awards, etc. of interest to a specific university department.
    2. General Campus Bulletin Boards – Limited to posters relating to on-campus events and issues relating specifically to the University community. Sections of each campus bulletin board may be designated for one or more specific uses.
  3. Student Clubs and Course Unions require approval of the UBCSUO prior to posting notices and posters on campus.
  4. With the exception of material posted on faculty and departmental bulletin boards, all posters and notices must be approved and stamped by the UBCSUO paper & supply co. with the ‘UBCSUO date stamp’. The UBCSUO paper & supply co. is located in UNC103, 3272 University Way. Permission to post on a faculty or department notice board must be obtained from the respective faculty or administrative department.
  5. Approval for posting of general campus posters, notices and community events poster shall be granted for a period of no more than two weeks.
  6. The following additional regulations shall also apply:
    1. Posters displayed in Student Residences are restricted to designated bulletin boards as identified, approved and managed by the Manager Building Operations & Services.
    2. Posters displayed in the Gymnasium are restricted to designated bulletin boards as identified, approved and managed by the Director, Athletics & Recreation.
    3. Posters displayed within UBCSUO leased space are restricted to areas within that space, as identified, approved and managed by the UBCSUO.
    4. Posters must be put up on bulletin boards using staples or tacks.
    5. Posters may not be posted in a manner that covers over other approved posters.
    6. Posters may not be posted on any surface other than an approved bulletin board, including painted, cement, or glass surfaces either inside or outside of any building.
    7. Posters may not be posted (outside) on the bus terminals and/or any University infrastructure (light poles, street furniture, etc.).
    8. Posters may not be attached to any trees or vegetation.
    9. Posters may not breach any municipal, provincial or federal law or regulation.
    10. Posters may not be attached in such a manner as to cause damage to bulletin boards.
  7. Posters not adhering fully to these guidelines and University regulations may be removed and destroyed.
  8. Handbills or flyers may not be distributed on the campus unless they are specifically handed to individuals or delivered through the University mail system.

Should your proposal not meet the above guidelines for temporary notices and posters, please contact Campus Planning to determine if a Signage Approval is required.